Sunday, November 28, 2010

9/20/2010 Mexican Independence Day & Funeral

Hola,

Well, this week was Mexican Independence day which made it a little difficult for missionary work. A lot of people left on vacations, and a lot of other people were drunk and partying or hung-over and sleeping. I promised a good story about drunks this week. On the 16th there was a group of men drinking outside of a store. They called us over and offered us a soda. I said no, thinking that it would be an alcoholic "soda." They proceeded to look for a soda among all of their beer. They were unsuccessful, so they gave us 20 pesos to buy a soda. I thought there might be a catch, but no I had in fact met the world's nicest drunks.

The work is going well here. We had 5 people at church on Sunday. We have one with a baptismal date for this Saturday a couple other possibles.

I'm sad to hear about Grandpa's death. I may not have had the best relationship with him because we always lived far away. But even though I didn't see him too often, all of the memories of him are good ones. He was a good man and a righteous priesthood holder. I know that right now he is being greeted by many friends and family members in spirit paradise. About a month ago, I had to speak at a funeral. The woman that had died was not a member of the church. A few of her children were members, but they are all pretty inactive. It was very hard for me to give them words of comfort, when it is most likely that they will never have an eternal family. They all seemed absolutely devastated thinking about how they will never see their mother again. I know that this is not the case with our family. For the righteous decisions he made in life, Grandpa will be waiting for all of us to join him. If we do our part and live righteously, the covenants we have made in this life will be honored for all of eternity. I'm sorry I can't be at the funeral, but as Dad said this is the best place I can be to show my love for him.
"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Love,
Elder Hansen

No comments:

Post a Comment