Monday, July 13, 2009

July 13 2009

Apologize the inconvenience, we are working to improve our community (per google search by mom) Or in other words "Detour" That's what the sign has said.... Detour, there's a muddy road ahead.... (as sung by Grandpa Wiggins on our Wiggins Mexican Adventure)

I finally got to meet the new president. He is awesome. He has a very different personality than President Gardner. President Gardner was a tall, intimidating, powerful man. President Spannaus is a short, funny, sensitive man. I really enjoyed President Gardner and I have a lot of respect for him, but I am excited to see the changes that will take place with the new president. I can tell that he has great plans in store, and over the next few months we will begin to see a lot of changes take place.
President Spannaus is from Argentina, and speaks with interesting accent. The Argentine accent is Spanish with kind of an Italian accent. He is 48 years old and has 12 year old and 9 year old daughters. His wife is taller than he is. She is also a returned missionary. President Spannaus received an MBA from BYU, so although I haven't heard him speak English I imagine he speaks pretty well.
Today we played soccer in one of the oldest LDS churches in Mexico. It used to be school, and it still resembles a school in many ways. The institute building is also attached, so the entire thing is pretty huge. I got to play pool in the institute building which is something I thought I would never get to do.
This week it has been big news that a church leader from the mormon colonies was murdered by a drug lord. The Mexican news isn't too reliable, and the people that tell us the Mexican news are even less reliable. So maybe you can tell me how the real story went.
So last change I went on exchanges a lot with Elder Corzo in his area because our companions were lazy and wanted to be lazy together. Anyways, in those few days we got to work a lot, and I really enjoyed it. Today, I found out that three of the people that I found and taught a few times got baptized this month. Two brothers were baptized and are actively involved in the youth program. One of them went to the visitor's center in the temple last week. Their parents also attend church, but need to get married before they can be baptized. The other baptism is an old man that we found sitting on the corner. Apparently he is very excited and loves the church. It was very exciting for me to hear that news. It shows that I have made a difference in this area. I now know that with a few days of hard work miracles happen. Now, I just need to get my companion to help us do a few days of hard work here, in our area.
I am always surprised that Dad can write such long letters even when he is home living a normal life. I can't seem to write long letters even though I am in Mexico living an adventure. I figure he has more time to think write and think about it.
Jenny, I would not not think that a king trip would be too fun in a raft. It is late in the year and king is probably dead. Red moose is the only thing to hit, and it's not really anything in a raft unless you all sit the back and tie your throw rope to the bough line to see how much air you get. But I guess if you have nothing better to do and want to relieve memories, go for it. I am glad to hear you aren't selling out, and still can hang out with hippies at concerts. Maybe things will change in a few years when you become a mom.
Ok well, I don't have much time left, so bye.
love,
Elder Hansen

PS Ask Kelli to translate the sign. You will laugh when you understand what it says.

No comments:

Post a Comment